Thread to practise English (Part Two)

Narniana

#510 Upgrade means actualizacion and improve mejorar.

Spybreak

#510 They're synonyms. Although you would use upgrade in a more "technical" way as in "Upgrade a computer" and improve in a more general manner as in "improve the situation".

#511 Actually "actualizacion" would be "update" rather than "upgrade".

PiTaGoRaS

Not a big deal, improve means make something better (ie. you improve your english) whereas upgrade usually means replace for something better (ie. you upgrade your computer for one faster).

Spybreak

#513 Not really, upgrading a computer means making the same computer better. If you're changing the old one for a new one you would use "replace".

In the end you COULD use upgrade for it, but it's a better idea to use upgrade when you're making something better without completely replacing it.

PiTaGoRaS

But you make your computer better by replacing some of its components, you don't improve or update the components, you upgrade them :p

Spybreak

You upgrade the graphics card, yes, by replacing it for a better one.

See the difference? In the end it's all semantics, but I just think it sounds better and is slightly more "correct".

You could, for example, say: "I upgraded from a GeForce 5600 to a Geforce 8800" which implies you replaced one for the other but means you upgraded from a low-end card to a better one.

J40

#512 When corrects #511 u are just saying the same thing with different words.

H

Aaaaaarrhhhnnn!!

J40

New word??

NosFeR_

#519 Su búsqueda - Aaaaaarrhhhnnn!! - no produjo ningún documento.

Yes, new word. If Google can't find it... :P

rbij

#479 Ok so you want me to write perfect english? because if you want i can write perfectly. I was writing fast, thats why i made mistakes, now if you want me to point out all the mistakes you have in all your sentences i could be here all day. Now shush child you have no idea, English IS my first language before spanish. Ok so i made a mistake writing ARE , who gives a bolox? i havent been writing in english for the past 7 years so its normal i make mistakes.

Now mate point out all the faults i made in this paragraph go on. ;)

J40

Your english suckssss!!! jajajaja

You speak grate men!!

afketo

hello, how is everybody? hope all fine, be happy coz im not happy, this life sux, ill go to kill all and kill myself, aaaaaaaaaaaa

josecollants

#521 I don't wanna bother you but actually it's before not befor

rbij

haha mistake :( hhehe

tio son 7 años que quieres siempre cae algo :(:( jeje

NosFeR_

#523 you are really full of resentment o.O

P.D: Kill it with fire! XD

#527 see you

josecollants

#525 It's absolutely normal for you to make these mistakes. Don't worry!

BTW I'm going to sleep, good night to everyone!

AG

Now shush child you have no idea

That -into ES- "Ahora chitón chaval que no tienes ni idea" is the strangest literal translation I've seen in this decade. I have no doubt on your English skills and I believe you when you say English is your mother tongue, but it doesn't look like that after seeing the way you write and express yourself.

And please, be careful when typing and set the 'i' as subject in capitals ('I'), like it's got to be.

P.S. That 'bolox' thing is scarcely laughable

---no resentfulness nor hard feelings in my post, I swear. I'm just trying to help---

rbij

haha shush is a slang word , hahah and bolox is a slang word aswell, i expected you not to understand it ;D

no es chitón sino mas como shh o calla , algo parecido nose como explicartelo ;D

i write the same way i express myself, its the irish in me ;D

AG

Unfortunatelly, as an audio-visual translator all of those slang words aren't unknown for me. I must admit I have only heard of 'bolox' (I know it's bollocks but I mean written like that) once before (one day playing Counter-Strike a few years ago), and I felt so curious about that term that I looked for its meaning and made a note of it. That's why I burst out laughing when you said so (despite I said it wasn't funny :$).

rbij

hahaha it means your ball sack.. tus huevos . bolox ;D

kyux

you gonna get raped fucking bitches

Spybreak

It's actually "bollocks" and depending on how it's used it means one thing or another.

It can mean "basura", "mierda" ("This thread is bollocks") or it can refer to the male testicles ("I'll punch you in the bollocks"). However the first use is the most common and it's mainly used in the UK.

rbij

exactly hhaah in ireland its used alot aswell , god if i start writing slang from my town we could be here all day.

well lads im of to bed now see you all tommoro you cunts! hahaha

LmrZ

ok guys, i've understood the difference, you're very kind.

SiuL-

very interesant our english level. Shakespeare was a newbye

PiTaGoRaS

Hey guys give me a hand with this small sentence:

I am a working, non-single, easy-going, north-american, 20 year dutch resident

Does it mean that he's only 20 years old (would be weird) or that he has been 20 years living in Holland? It's probably the second but I want to make sure :D

hDs92

#537 I think the guy means that he is 20 years old , he 's initially from deutchland but now american resident....Or so I think :/

But anyway , whatever he meant , he wrote it wrong ..The last bit doesn't make any sense really..

fNtS

At the moment i wont go to any place this summer, i only will drink a lot for me city and Marina : )

Probably the first week of september i will go to Olot Party! I have a friend that live there, and we have stay free on "Masia" (xDDDD).

Btw, </3 english >___<

Rafyelzz

#537 He's 20 years old. But he wrote it as adjetive adding dutch resident after, so the age is an adjetive there. The right way to write it is: I'm 21-year-old spanish guy.

Usuarios habituales

• AG
  • Dod-Evers
  • Narniana
  • Dj_Sergio
  • Rafyelzz
  • J40
  • Spybreak